Dover, Kansas is located on Kansas Highway 4 in the southwest corner of Shawnee County, just a half-mile east of the Wabaunsee County line. Dover has long been a trading center for residents of southeast Wabaunsee County.
In the 1880s, Alf Sage constructed this building which he called Sommerset Hall and used as a store building. In 1902, the Odd Fellows lodge moved into the upstairs, and the organization purchased the building in 1905.
J. W. Winter & Son store was located at the intersection of K-4 Highway and Southwest Douglas Road in Dover, Kansas. The store was freshly painted when this real photo postcard was created in about 1910. Photo Courtesy Michael Stubbs.
The Dover State Bank was located on Southwest Douglas Road in Dover, Kansas, next door to Winter’s store. Photo Courtesy Greg Hoots.
The old District 15 school at Dover, Kansas was photographed for this real photo postcard, circa 1910. Photo Courtesy Greg Hoots.
The District 15 School was located on Southwest Douglas Road in Dover, Kansas, one-quarter of a mile south of K-4 Highway. Today this is a private residence. Photo Courtesy Chester Todd.
This real photo postcard view of the new concrete bridge at Dover, Kansas, looking east, was taken shortly after the bridge’s completion, circa 1924. Notice the small steel bridge just beyond the new bridge. Photo Courtesy Greg Hoots.
Carl and Margaret Daniel opened this station shortly after Carl returned from World War II. The station, a landmark on K-4 Highway, was located at the intersection of K-4 and Southwest Glick Road. The Native Stone Scenic Byway begins at this spot. Photo courtesy Margaret Daniel